Today everyone knows about numerous therapeutic benefits of garlic. Traditionally this natural antibiotic was used to cure everything from the common cold and flu to the Plague. And still in our days we are sure about a big reputation of this small vegetable. What’s interesting that garlic is one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world. It has been grown for over 5000 years. Ancient Egyptians were first, who started to cultivate this plant.
Raw garlic benefits will surprise you! You may just add it it to the meal and feel the advantage of this plant without using any other remedies.
So what are garlic benefits?
- It is used for heart and blood system conditions (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, coronary heart disease, heart attack, and “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis);
- Some people use it to prevent cancer (colon cancer, rectal cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer and bladder cancer);
- It may be used for treating an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia; BPH), diabetes, osteoarthritis, hayfever (allergic rhinitis), traveler’s diarrhea, high blood pressure late in pregnancy (pre-eclampsia);
- It is an effective cure of cold and flu. Garlic is used for boosting the immune system, preventing tick bite and bacterial and fungal infections;
- Sometimes it’s used as a treatment of fever, coughs, headache, stomach ache, sinus congestion, gout, rheumatism, hemorrhoids, asthma, bronchitis, shortness of breath, low blood pressure, low blood sugar, high blood sugar, and snakebites;
- Garlic is also used for fighting stress and fatigue, and maintaining healthy liver function;
- Topical usage of garlic is also possible. Some people apply garlic oil on the skin to cure from fungal infections, warts, and corns;
- You can use it topically to cure such fungal infections as ringworm, jock itch, and athlete’s foot.
And here are some doses, that have been studied in scientific research:
Garlic for high blood pressure:
- Garlic extract 600-1200 mg divided and given three times daily;
- Aged garlic extract 600 mg to 2 grams per day;
- Fresh garlic 4 grams once a day.
Garlic for prevention colon, rectal, and stomach cancer:
- Fresh or cooked garlic 3.5-29 grams weekly.
For fungal skin infections (ringworm, jock itch, athlete’s foot):
- Garlic ingredient ajoene as a 0.4% cream, 0.6% gel, and 1% gel applied twice daily for one week.
Using this herb always remember that garlic is a drug. There’s a tendency to use it every day adding to our favorite dishes, but garlic may be harmful as every medicament. Garlic is very strong and toxic, so eating it too much may cause problems, for example negative emotions like irritation, anger. Over usage of garlic may lead to headaches, which slow the reaction of our body and the opportunity to concentrate. It may even damage the digestive tract. Of course some people may have allergy to this plant.