Things to know about Swedish Bitters side effects.
What is Swedish Bitters?
A Swedish Bitters in most cases is a combination of bitter, sour or bittersweet flavored herbs prepared by using an alcoholic beverage. Numbers of brands that produce Swedish Bitters originally were developed for a medicinal, digestive and flavoring purpose.
The medicinal Swedish Bitters is usually promoted and sold as a medical cure product. The flavoring bitters are usually added to different alcoholic drinks and cocktails, generally to add different flavor to a drink. Digestive Swedish Bitters are drinks; usually alcoholic, that are normally served in European countries before or after a meal to help digestion.
How Does Swedish Bitters Work?
Swedish Bitters offer particular benefits for enhancing bile secretion. There is a study that was published in a 2011 issue of “International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition” that taste receptors for bitter substances trigger your pancreas to secrete digestive enzymes and your gall bladder to release bile. Traditionally it is recommended by herbalists to use Swedish Bitters to help your digestion, if you need to stimulate appetite, relieve nausea, or improve liver function.
Please also note that secretion into bile is a major route for eliminating cholesterol. Free cholesterol is virtually insoluble in aqueous solutions, but soluble by bile acids and lipids like lecithin.
What are the side effect of Swedish Bitters?
Now that we know what Swedish Bitters is, and how it works, lets talk about Swedish Bitters side effects.
Despite all the benefits, Swedish Bitters can as well have some side effects. Although keeping strictly to the recommended dose is unlikely to produce any side effects, general overuse of Swedish Bitters, allergic reaction to some herbs used in Swedish bitters or intolerance to alcohol is the main reason for the issues that some might experience when using this product.
Here are some of the side effects of Swedish Bitters:
- Possible laxative effect when using Swedish Bitters.
- If you have a liver or stomach disease you should avoid alcohol.
- Taking Swedish Bitters before, during and after your Candida Treatment is possible, but do not take Swedish Bitters for too long. Swedish Bitters contain berberine that is present in Oregon Grape root and Goldenseal. This plant is an alkaloid and can potentially damage your intestinal lining if taken for too long.
- Depletion of potassium levels, can also be possible side effect that can lead to high blood pressure. However, if bitters is taken in small amounts and for about 2 weeks at a time, this side effect can be avoided.
- Swedish Bitters can also cause dehydration especially in children, uterine bleeding and miscarriage in pregnant women. Not recommended for pregnant women, children under 12 and in the case of ulcers.
- Do not use Swedish Bitters if you experience abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting, or if you have or developed diarrhea.
Individual herbs used in Swedish Bitters may also have undesirable side effects.
- Angelica root – may cause hormonal imbalances in children, skin sensitivities – especially for people with psoriasis with prolonged exposure to sunlight.
- Senna – may cause abdominal cramping.
Both of these herbs are used in Swedish Bitters mix. That is why it’s recommended to buy dry mix Swedish Bitters where all herbs are packed individually. This will let you eliminate herbs in Swedish Bitters mix that may potentially cause side effect on your body.
Some sources advise paying particular attention to skin rashes, nausea, dizziness, especially if they occur within several hours of taking Swedish Bitters.
Also to limit potential side effects, some sources recommend following the directions of the manufacturer and your healthcare provider. Swedish Bitters Herbs can also interfere with medications. Please consult your doctor about any health concerns before taking Swedish Bitters.
Despite all of the possible side effects, Swedish Bitters have many great reviews with amazing health benefits. If you decided to try using Swedish Bitters, we carry two world famous Swedish Bitters mixes:
Click Here to view: Big Swedish Bitters mix – 22 ingredients
Click Here to view: Small Swedish Bitters mix – 11 ingredients